Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Will He Give Us More Than We Can Handle...Absolutely!

How many of us came to know God while life was favorable, things were going our way?  We weren't searching, we weren't feeling anything missing.

I doubt many.

In fact, how many of us feel closer to God when things are difficult? When we feel the need to get on our knees and realize it is just TOO MUCH to handle. We can't do it. We are too sad, too empty, too scared. We have tried filling it or fixing it, meeting it with human ways...people, money, jobs....and it is never enough.

I know I had believed for a very long time that it was scriptural that God never gives us more than we can handle. True, there is scripture that says He will always give us a way out of temptation (1 Cor. 10:13) ...but trials? No, there was never a promise for an easy life. There was never a promise that He wouldn't give us more than we can handle.

Honestly, we walk in a world of darkness. There is pain, suffering, trials, disease, wars, pride, immorality....we can't handle it. It leaves you empty, drained, sad and angry. It leaves you searching to fill that void. It is that darkness and our failure to fix it which brings us to God...He fills that. He is our stronghold. He carries us through. It is because of Him we can walk through those times with a peace that can't be explained. It is His desire that we come to that place where we say...I can't handle this. I need You. I need You to help me. I need You to fix this. I need You to give me peace as I move through this.

While I am here, let me also address that sometimes we go to those who can quote scripture, who attend church or maybe even have a role in the church....we think they may lead us to the answers. So often, they are the ones who disappoint us. We forget that they are walking in the life right beside us. They fail and mess up just like we do. They are not the answer. Sometimes...though they can do the things I mentioned, sometimes they haven't even found God yet. Sometimes, they are also still trying to do it on their own. If they are not pointing you to a surrender....if they are too busy telling you to stop this and don't do this, there is a good chance they are as lost as you. If they are truly pointing you to God...you'll know it by their love. They won't be full of DOs and DON'Ts....they will be full of love, grace and mercy.

So, if you are struggling and searching...if there is an emptiness. If you feel like I can't handle this...it is time. It is time to look up to Him and say, I can't handle this. I need to give you this, and the rest of my life too. I need to put you in control. Do it. Do it everyday. I truly believe we must surrender daily. We will always have struggles and things we can't handle. He will allow us to be there. Through it, He will teach us, grow us, and let us learn to depend on Him. We must fight through that constant urge to handle it all on our own, do it our way...it takes surrender.

"...though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith-of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire-may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." 1 Peter 1: 6,7

1 comment:

  1. This is EXACTLY it, my friend.
    Life is DESIGNED to make us realize that we absolutely cannot handle it on our own. The Scriptures were written to make us feel helpless and powerless to obey it all - to point out our need for a Savior, Someone Who makes us new, makes us righteous in His righteousness, and gives us grace instead of grudging, mercy instead of misery.

    Those who say they serve Him and who are more concerned with the rules than they are with the people who couldn't possibly measure up to them, don't serve the God that I serve. My God loves. My God is holy, yes, but He invites people into communion with Him; He does not club people with commandments.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts. Questions, prayer requests, ideas for my writing. If you want to keep your comment from being published I will be happy to do that for you.