Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Our Greatest Tool

I have spent four days in training to counsel with woman in a pregnancy center. The training was awesome, and the woman who led was definitely annointed by God. There were a lot of aha moments for me, a lot of learning and a lot of looking at my weaknesses.
Some of my learning allowed me to see that some of the muck and hurt I have been through gives me a compassion and love for woman who are hurting. That compassion and love comes despite what brought them here. We all make poor choices, and we all know poor choices can bring tough consequences. I am so thankful for the people God placed in my life as I faced my consequences, so thankful for him picking me up and carrying me through those painful times, and thankful that there are three places in consequences, the before, the during and the after. I am looking forward to helping others see the after, and with God how much easier the during is.

I also learned a lot about our culture and how far we are slipping into a very dark place. The lack of holiness when it comes to life. I thought I knew, but I had no idea.

The toughest thing I had to deal with though, is my lack of knowledge in God's Word. I saw the importance of knowing his Word as I would so many other things. I claim I do not have a great memory, but I just completed writing a piece about words in a children's book that I read in first grade and I still have those words locked in my memory. There is no better tool in this world for helping ourselves or others. No matter how many wonderful Pastors, teachers or mentors we have in our life, it is the Word we need to test all other things. It needs to be burned into my heart, mind and soul, just like it was a hardrive.

As we heard about different scenarios we could be faced with I heard others around me calling out scripture to answer those hurts and consequences. The perfect words of hope, healing and redemption. When they would start to read them, I could complete the reading, I knew the words. But I need to know the addresses too. I need to study and learn God's word. We have the whole story, from beginning to end in our hands. We need to wrap our minds, hearts and souls around it, and use it as the best tool that it is. It is God's Word we hold in our hands.

"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16, 17

May you always find salt and light in my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Questions, prayer requests, ideas for my writing. If you want to keep your comment from being published I will be happy to do that for you.