Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Feelings or Discernment?

During the training I attended this week, the difference between feelings and discernment produced quite a discussion, and a few questions. I am continuing to think about and still have questions.
I use the words "feel", "believe" and "think" in discussions I have and I am betting if I searched my blog I would find these words many times. I am an emotional being, God created me with these emotions...which leads to feelings, beliefs and thinking. What I know I need to be careful of, is that I am not lead by my emotions...and that I am lead by the Holy Spirit. The problem is how do I know if it is me...or it is Him?
Sometimes it is quite easy to distinguish. If the feeling is leading me to something that is wrong, the bible is clear about it...then it is me, and is certainly not God. Sadly, there have been times in my life where I talked myself into believing that is was okay...God would understand. Foolish! That was certainly not God, and He would not understand. I walked right into the trap of deception. I was an easy target, believing somehow that the sin would bring good things, and God would understand.
But what about the times when it is not something that falls easy into a sin or not a sin? Like where God wants you and what He wants you to do. Or making a decision about life, not a biblical principal. We want to be in God's will, we seek it and desire it, but how do we know that it is the Spirit leading us and not our own feelings? How do we know we are not being deceived? I really worry about my blog...I am sitting down and sharing my thoughts, I would not want to be used as a tool for deception. I pray over my words and I pray before I type. I follow my Pastor's lead and ask God to fix my words before I publish.
So, with all decisions, I do seek wisdom. If there are decisions I think (there is that word again) that we should seek Godly counsel. Actually, I have scripture that shows me this, the thought has been tested with his word. I have found that if I am headed into a wrong decision, God has placed Godly people in the way, they have warned me. I also found a strong conviction to turn from situations. That is discernment. We need to spend a lot of time in prayer, in the Word. We need that quiet time, seeking His will in all aspects of our lives. We need to pray over decisions.
Lately, I have been including scripture in my blog. I will be continuing this. My words are not inspired by God, they are not scripture. My Daily Dose blog is really a journal of my own spiritual journey, and I am sinner and am dealing with the same things others are. I publish this to share with others in the journey. I include scripture because it is the Word of God and is more important than any of the words I publish here.
God's words on discernment we can all take to heart.
In Hebrews there are two scriptures I found appropriate for this:
"For the word of God is living and active, Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12)
"But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil" (Hebrews 5:14)
May you always find Salt and Light in my words....but please always measure my words to God's word, and seek Godly counsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Questions, prayer requests, ideas for my writing. If you want to keep your comment from being published I will be happy to do that for you.