Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Gift My Mother Left Me

Tomorrow will be the first mother's day without my mom. I miss her every day, and tomorrow will not be different. So, tonight I think of one of the gifts she left me with. A heart of empathy. Mom could find good in everyone, and somehow could always put herself inside their shoes. I can't remember a time she judged anyone...she just loved them, accepted them, and tried to help them with their needs.
She had it perfected...I am still in practice mode.
Mom could listen and understand all kinds of situations. It didn't matter how deep in trouble they were, or what they looked like, or what it would require of her...she was there, and would truly listen. I mean eye to eye, focused, and not pretending kind of listening. She listened with both her heart and her ears.
She didn't hesitate. If a need was presented, she would help, or look for ways to help.
Mom saw the world was hurting and loved to entertain. I think this was a piece of her empathetic heart...she wanted to give joy to a hurting world... friendship, and acceptance.
This kind of love was not always accepted by everyone. Not everyone understood. Those who couldn't love as she could...they wanted her to have boundaries on her love. But with mom, that wasn't possible.
You see, Mom loved as Christ did. What a gift and model that was to leave me with.
"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harrassed and helpless, like sheep without a sheperd." Matthew 9:36
Thank you Lord for weaving me into my mother's womb. Thank you mom for showing me how to love as Christ did with compassion.
Thinking of so many of us without our moms this weekend...may we all remember the salt and light they left to us in this world where we remain without them. May our mother's gifts to us be used to make our world a better place. We will make them proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Questions, prayer requests, ideas for my writing. If you want to keep your comment from being published I will be happy to do that for you.