Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Is our freedom holding us back?

I have started reading a new book, Radical by David Platt. I was told it will change my thinking, and after reading less than two chapters, I know I will have a lot of moments that make me go...hmmm.
In my classroom, I have been reading a novel about a child living in Afghanistan. The story is devastating, but her perseverance is amazing. Then we had a guest speaker come in and talk to the kids about woman and children in Afghanistan and we are packing boxes to send over. One of the young ladies in my class wrote to the author of the book and she said something about how spoiled she feels as an American. I was so touched by her comment, and also proud that she noticed that.
I had that on my mind as I started reading the book Radical....and wow, we are so spoiled as Americans. He speaks of some time he spends with groups in Asia, meeting secretly for hours a day with only their bible...hungry for the Word and wanting to learn. He mentions, "no music, no air condition, no soft cushy chairs" but hungry for the word and a complete surrender to everything else to get that word.
I am also reading the book of Acts, and I look at the dedication of the men and woman who began our churches. They gave up their lives, totally and absolutely dedicated to sharing the message of Christ.
And then I compare all of these people tome, to us. Oh my. I am proud of spending a little bit of time typing a blog and a quiet time before I leave for work...and that is so little, and no sacrifice at all. I can't help but wonder if I began to persevere like those in war ridden environments, hungered and thirsted for the Word like those in Asia, or shared the gospel without a selfish thought and with a vigor like the early disciples, what kind of difference could I make? And what if...what if...all Christians in America did. Could you imagine the revival?
What keeps us from this? Is it our freedom that actually holds us back? Is it our freedom that spoils us? In each circumstance above, they did not have the freedom, they had to fight for it? They had to break down the barriers. Our freedoms have spoiled us, and they are holding us back as Christians. I, as an American Christian, need to wake up to this. What about you?
"For you are free, yet you are God's slaves, so don't use your freedom as an excuse to do evil." 1 Peter 2:16
May you find salt and light in my words!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Questions, prayer requests, ideas for my writing. If you want to keep your comment from being published I will be happy to do that for you.