Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 14, 2011

What skin are you in?

Sometimes I notice something in someone else first, and then realize I am just as bad. I have noticed how people act differently, depending on their surroundings. We are like chameleons, changing our skin to fit in.
I act different, I speak different or I just keep quiet.
It is not a major difference...just a slight change of the skin. If I am around a group at work who are sharing gossip, I tend to slip right into that skin and add my two cents. I listen and participate.
I think I may be worse with people who have known me for a long time. They knew me in all sorts of skin. So, to speak of God, my faith and how He is changing me daily, doesn't seem like something they would believe. So I say nothing. This is especially true if they are someone who doesn't believe as I do. I am afraid to offend them. As I sit here and type this I realize how foolish that is, but if I am to be honest, I know this is something I do. These are people I love and care about, and I am not sharing with them the things I feel are the most important. I am hurting them.
I think more than anything, I tend to slip on the skin of trying to be unnoticed, blending into the background. I keep too quiet about my faith, too selfish to share the best news I can.
So tonight I am very transparent...revealing a part of me I want to improve. I want to slip into the skin of a good and faithful servant, and wear it all the time, in all situations and surroundings. Typing it out on a screen and hitting publish and share isn't enough.
"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders, make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation always be full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:5, 6
May my words, written and oral, be salt and light in this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Questions, prayer requests, ideas for my writing. If you want to keep your comment from being published I will be happy to do that for you.