Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 21, 2011

No Room for Apathy

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1.2

The word apathy came up this week and it really made me think about my Christian life. A very sad confession to make, there were times I showed this even as a Christian. Not intentional...but it happened. When I read the above scripture, I thought how this happens to us...we get so easily tangled in sin, we allow things of this world to hinder us. I also thought of those witnesses who looked on as I did this...and it makes me even more sad.
They watched as I stopped attending church. I didn't open a bible. I didn't speak much of Christ. I looked like anyone else in the world. To the witnesses looking at me, I appeared apathetic. Like I just didn't care.
Now....even worse, I admit I still get caught up and hindered. I can't say I always run with perseverance. I do not always  run where it is MARKED for me. I take detours. I have days where I do not open the Word. I don't tell others about Christ.
It is my prayer that God would search me and show me the things that are hindering me. What is keeping me from being totally sold out. I want to hunger and thirst for Christ all day, every day. I want to be that runner totally focused on my mark, Christ, and I want to be free. Sometimes I see myself wandering the track, looking for the marks, with things hanging from me, slowing me down, holding me back. My shoelaces tangled together. Lord, help me to see the marks and leave those things behind. I want to race.....I want to run freely towards you with perseverance.
What about you? Are you running the race? I would love for us to run the race together.
May you find light and salt in my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Questions, prayer requests, ideas for my writing. If you want to keep your comment from being published I will be happy to do that for you.