Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 23, 2011

Tolerance

Society's ways sometimes leak into our Christian life and beliefs and I do not think we even always notice. I thought about this when it comes to tolerance. How much should we tolerate as Christians? I am a true believer in there being a right and wrong with God, a black and white, an on the fence and off the fence....there is no in between. But society and culture are very different from that....everyone has rights, everyone can be who they want, we should not push our ways and beliefs on others, to each his own.
As a Christian I find this difficult sometimes....I want to show love, and I don't want to sound judgemental. But I know God has clear definitions as to what we should tolerate. And how as Christians do we draw the lines, what will that look like? How do we show God's love to a group of people who will look at that very differently.

Just like everything else with God, I think we have to depend on His power in these situations. We can not sugar coat the black, and hide the white, but it doesn't mean we need to stand with picket signs letting those who are not in obedience to God's law and point it out to them. I have to look at Christ's example. He did not walk around all the time pointing fingers at sin. There was a time and place for this. He walked and showed love, shared truths to people through speaking to them, and he did a lot of asking questions of people. He wanted them to examine their own ways. He did not sit beside them in their sin, and show acceptance of it. He walked away from sin, and he shared love. He walked a life that made others want to follow. He was the Light which revealed the sin and darkness.
I need to carefully examine my walk in this world. I need to look at the ultimate model and walk as He did.
"For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible for it is light that makes things visible."
Ephesians 5:8-14
May you always find salt and light in my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Questions, prayer requests, ideas for my writing. If you want to keep your comment from being published I will be happy to do that for you.