Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Our Gift, Our Responsibility

Yesterday I spoke of the gift of children.
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him." (Psalms 127:3)
 An amazing miracle prepared and placed in our care by a Holy God. With that comes an awesome responsibility. When God places these rewards in our care, He expects us to care for them, in all ways. We are to take care of their physical...and their spiritual needs.
We do recognize that responsibility in many ways, especially to prepare them for their walk within this world. We teach them the alphabet, their colors, manners, all those things that will help them to be successful in this world.
Sadly, we do not always accept that same responsibility for preparing them for eternity. We don't devote the same amount of time and energy for their eternal life,  that we do to prepare them for their days on this earth.
I know as I think about my children, I reflect upon what I did, and I know it wasn't enough. Like so many things, I think, if only I could do it over again. Before this world was so present in their hearts and minds, I would fill it to the brim with the things of God. I would teach them how to praise, how to pray and how to study the Word of God. I would teach them the importance of church and fellowship of Christians. I would teach them that there is an enemy of God who seeks to destroy them, and how to prepare and fight those battles. I would teach them how to put God first in their lives, and to seek Him in all that they do for his will and guidance. But I didn't. I gave them some, I modeled a little...but I did not give them enough. It is my hope and prayer that those small seeds I did plant would take root, and grow.
Because now, it falls on their children. My descendants...that I spoke of in yesterday's post.  My children now have that responsibility for my grandchildren's eternity. It is my prayer on this week of mother's day that God would hear the prayer of forgiveness for a mother and grandmother who wished she did more. A prayer from a mother and grandmother who wants her grandchildren and children to know the ways of God and His love for them. A prayer of a mother and grandmother who wishes success on this earth for her children and grandchildren...but more importantly security for their eternity.
Our gift is quite a responsibility, not just for those in our care....but for our future generations.
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6
"These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 6:6, 7
May you always find salt and light in my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Questions, prayer requests, ideas for my writing. If you want to keep your comment from being published I will be happy to do that for you.